Paris 2021: What We Talk About When We Talk About The New York School
The inaugural meeting of the Network for New York School Studies (NNYSS) will be held on Wednesday 23 June 2021 at Université Gustave Eiffel.
The Alice Notley Poets & Critics Symposium will be held on Thursday 24 and Friday 25 June 2021 at Université Gustave Eiffel.
What We Talk About When We Talk About The New York School
The inaugural event of the Network for New York School Studies will feature short papers addressing a variety of aspects of New York School poetry, art, and writing. This event builds on the research network scholars and poets began to form during the illuminating New Work on the New York School symposium and poetry evening held at the University of Birmingham in 2018. We hope it will be the second international meeting of many. We have plans for follow-up events in New York and London in the coming years: watch this space…
Talks, close-readings, interdisciplinary discussions, presentations of archival work, joint presentations, work-in-progress, artistic responses, and other conventional or unconventional responses to the New York School, broadly conceived, will explore the place of New York School poetry, both in its emergent moment, and since:
- how did New York School poetry and art define itself in its moment?
- what has it come to mean?
- who are its artists and poets?
- what “schools” or movements has it influenced?
- how did / does it sit within broader New York / American / global writing and culture (including film, music, and art)?
- what can be said of 3rd and 4th generation New York School writing?
- what do we talk about, now, when we talk about the New York School?
Talks are expected to be 5-10 minutes in length. Like last time, the event will be informal, inclusive, conversational, interdisciplinary, and intersectional. It will conclude with a poetry reading in the evening (poets TBC).
If you would like to attend, please email email@example.com.
Further details about the event will follow in due course.